Friday, February 10, 2012

C4T#1 Post #2

St. Elmo
St. Elmo

Post #1 Summary
The blog that I was assigned for this post was that of a teacher at St. Elmo's Elementary school called St. Elmo's Explorers.  The first available post was a link to a video on Teachertube about the Underground Railroad.  I commented that I was interested in tools like this because I plan on being a History teacher, and that this video could serve as a great introduction to Black History Month, slavery, or Harriet Tubman.  I also thanked the teacher for sharing this video because it introduced me to Teachertube for the first time. I remarked that Teachertube has already proven itself to be a valuable tool for me and will continue to be an asset in the future.

The Mitten Book Cover


Post #2 Summary
The second post that I commented on was from January 8, 2012.  The post was requesting constructive comments on narrative essay contest finalists' entries. In the contest, students had to comment on a book called The Mitten, in which the author did not explain why his characters chose to get inside the mitten.  The students were to imagine what the world was like inside the mitten and write a narrative that would be adapted to a stage play.  Commenters were encouraged to pick one of the finalists and leave suggestions for revisions of these entries. I chose finalist six's essay to critique. My comments stated that this child's essay was imaginative and descriptive. I thought that the adjectives used were appropriate and   captivating. Also, this child used rather advanced literary devices such as similes and onomatopoeia, which ignited all of the reader's senses.  I thought it was one of the better written of the essays.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica!

    I enjoyed reading your post, and I think it is really great that you researched more about the technology a certain teacher was using that you weren't familiar with. That shows me that you are willing to learn about new technology, which will greatly benefit your students in the future. I have never heard of Teachertube either. Perhaps you could add a link to the website of new technology that you mention in future posts. In your second summary, I am very impressed that you went beyond the assignment and revised a student's essay as encouraged in the blog you read. It is very admirable that you did so, and I am sure the student appreciated the suggestions you might have given him/her! Great post and good luck in EDM 310!

    ReplyDelete